Staff Attorney - Health
Sacramento or Bay Area Office
For over 40 years, Western Center on Law and Poverty has been the foremost non-profit law firm advancing the interests of low-income Californians. Our statewide efforts are geographically diverse and focused in the areas of health care, affordable housing and public benefits. As a premier organization, we retain committed and skilled specialists to make broad systemic change through coordinated impact litigation, policy and legislative accomplishments.
Western Center offers a unique opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic attorney to join our successful and dedicated litigation and health advocacy unit. Candidates must have substantial experience practicing in diverse forums and committed to working in a collegial and dynamic team environment. This position is distinctive, providing the exceptional attorney an exciting opportunity to advocate on a variety of health-related poverty law issues in state and federal courts throughout the state.
- Engage in the development of the strategic direction in the organization’s health care advocacy;
- Further the implementation of current programmatic work, including litigation, policy and legislative advocacy to ensure access to affordable health care for low-income Californians who are uninsured, or who obtain health care through Medi-Cal, Healthy Families, county indigent health and Exchange/Covered California programs ;
- Attain necessary administrative and policy changes in the areas of Medi-Cal, Exchange/Covered California, medical debt, the uninsured, improving delivery of care, implementing the Affordable Care Act and other issues impacting the health care needs of low-income Californians.
- Provide expertise and direction in a variety of training and conference settings and through consultation, technical assistance, publications and education, particularly to legal services organizations;
- Work closely with Sacramento-based policy advocates on budget and health-related legislation; and
- Work closely with legal services programs statewide to provide technical assistance and consultation, identify potential cases and provide litigation support, including co-counseling.
The ideal candidate for the health attorney position has the following attributes:
- A minimum of five years’ experience advocating and litigating in diverse forums in the areas of health, public benefits and/or civil rights;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills;
- Strong public speaking and outreach abilities;
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and in political or potentially sensitive settings; and
- Experience in a legal services or public interest program, or working with underrepresented populations. Knowledge of health law issues affecting low-income populations is strongly preferred.
Membership in the California State Bar is required at the time of hiring or within six months. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Western Center provides generous benefits, including substantial holiday time, to its employees.
This position is located in either the Sacramento or Bay Area offices (preferred), although placement in the Los Angeles office will be considered. The candidate must be willing to travel, including visits to Sacramento at least once per week.
Applications will be accepted until May 17, 2013 or until the position is filled. Please email cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and list of references to:
Denise Williamson, Director of Operations
Western Center on Law and Poverty
3701 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 208
Los Angeles, California 90010
WCLP is an equal opportunity employer.