Access to Justice
Western Center believes that economic and social justice and the right to be heard in the courts, administrative hearings and in Sacramento is the entitlement of every Californian. We work to:
- Expand access to jobs, take home income and opportunity for the poorest Californians
- Reduce the criminalization of poverty and racial bias in anti-poverty programs, public institutions, work environments, and financial services
- Enforce due process and language access rights to guarantee every poor person their “day in court”
- Ensure adequate funding for legal services programs and that they will be fairly paid for their work by assisting local programs secure attorneys’ fees
- Increase access to civil legal representation.