Public Benefits & Economic Justice
Western Center believes that all Californians are entitled to economic and social justice and a strong safety net. We work to:
- Expand access to jobs, take home income and opportunity for the poorest Californians
- Reduce the criminalization of poverty and racial bias in anti-poverty programs, public institutions, work environments, and financial services
- Ensure that the public safety net is actually available when needed
- Guarantee that people struggling to gain independence from welfare actually receive the supportive services the law affords them
- Ensure that the voice of poor people is heard in the policy debates that affect their lives
We focus on CalWORKs, CalFresh, SSI and General Relief, the critical programs that serve millions of Californians.